follow us on twitter : @TheTalkCityNG
facebook: The Talk City
Tuesday, 12 March 2013
(GIST): 17-year-old boy, guardian electrocuted in Abeokuta
Tragedy struck in the ancient city of Abeokuta, Ogun state, as a 17-year-old boy and his guardian, a policeman, were on Sunday electrocuted.
The boy, simply identified as Moses, recently lost his father to gunshot wounds by armed robbers and was under the care of his late father’s colleague. He was scavenging the rubble in front of the government house, opposite the police barrack in Isale Igbein, when he got electrocuted.
According to information made available to DailyPost, Moses had already completed the scavenging and was about heading home, when one of the metal objects he was carrying touched a live wire at the demolished road construction site.
The boy was promptly electrocuted. His guardian, Sunday Joseph heard and immediately rushed to the scene to stage a rescue. As he attempted to rescue his ward, he also got electrocuted.
An eye witness who pleaded anonymity blamed the death of the victims on the negligence of staff of Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN. He said that the electrical line was supposed to have been cut off but was left on because a top official of PHCN, was having a party in Abeokuta.
The bodies of the victims have been deposited in the mortuary.
Leading a delegation of some state government officials to the residence of the deceased, the Secretary to the state government, Taiwo Adeoluwa promised that government would assist the family.
The Senior Special Assistant to Ogun State Governor on Security Matters, Patrick Akinduro, also visited the family to condole with the bereaved.
Mr. Akinduro, who is a senior police officer, assured the family of government’s readiness to help the family with burial arrangements.
Reacting to the incident, the Public Affairs Manager of PHCN in Ijeun and Olumo Districts of Abeokuta, Richard Oyewole, told journalists that an investigation will be opened on the matter.
He denied negligence on the part of PHCN officials over the incident, adding that the company doesn’t grant outage on frivolities.
“I have contacted some of our field officers, and like you are aware, yesterday was Sunday, and normally if the Construction Companies are to work on any area, they will request for outage but as we speak, yesterday being Sunday, there was no outage permit granted by our company.
“We are still making investigations and we are going to make announcement later on the issue” he emphasised.
“We don’t grant outages on frivolities, normally, our line is supposed to be on 24 hours, unless there is a fault or an accident, and what we can do is to isolate that area to prevent life being lost because any outage will put a lot of people into darkness,” he said.