Sunday 6 January 2013

King Sunny Ade’s guitarist, Fatoke Abiodun, arrested with cocaine at Lagos airport



Fatoke Abiodun, a guitarist who worked with King Sunny Ade for 30 years was arrested on January 1, 2013 for allegedly attempting to smuggle 1.575kg of cocaine to Italy.
The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) found the drug in the false bottom of his luggage during the outward screening of passengers to Italy
According to NDLEA Commander for the Lagos Airport, Hamza Umar, Abiodun was attempting to board an Air France flight to Italy at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos. “We have made the first arrest in the new year. The suspect, a guitarist by name Fatoke Abiodun was found with 1.575kg of cocaine,” Umar said.
“I played for King Sunny Ade for 30 years before I was unceremoniously retired in 2007. I was unprepared and without severance money I saw the bitter side of life…Because at my age I could not provide for my family. I am ashamed of myself,” Abiodun allegedly said.
62-year-old Abiodun has 4 wives, children and grandchildren. He will be charged to court for unlawful exportation and possession of narcotics. He is currently cooperating with investigators and has confessed to the crime and blamed his involvement in the drug trade on financial pressure after retirement.


No comments: