Tuesday 8 January 2013

Aguero: Manchester City’s success has gone unappreciated


Sergio Aguero, Manchester City, Premier League 2012/2013
Sergio Aguero, estrella en el Manchester City y en la Selección Argentina.
Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero feels that his club’s Premier League success last season has been undervalued due to the money spent by the club in recent years.
City won last year's league title in dramatic fashion, toppling their local rivals Manchester United on the last day of the season, having closed an eight-point gap over the previous five games.

The Argentina international, though, is unhappy with the criticism Manchester City have come in for and underlined the fact that numerous other clubs work on similar principles, and offered a reminder that his side won last season’s league title on merit.

PREMIER LEAGUE LATEST
25/1Manchester City are 25/1 with Bet365 to beat Arsenal 3-0
“Some people say this team was built only through money, as if other clubs weren’t,” the forward told reporters.

“I want to be clear, only Barcelona have footballers from their youth system. The rest of the clubs, including us, don’t.

“Sometimes I think people don’t value what we have done. We are the Premier League champions.

“We won the title even when Man United were ahead of us by lots of points. We didn’t give up and we fought until the end. We were definitely the best team.”

It was Aguero’s stoppage time goal against QPR on May 13 that secured the title for his club, and the 24-year-old claims that the significance of that strike is only just beginning to sink in.

“Only now do I realise what I did with my goal,” Aguero added. “The months went by and I understood what that goal meant for all of us.

“People in the streets are always telling me stuff about that goal. But I didn’t realise what it had meant when I scored it. At the time, I felt as if I were in another world.

“Even today, it is surprising for me when I arrive at the stadium and see those huge pictures of my goal.

Turning his attentions to this season's performances, the forward played down worries over his side's recent form, however, he did admit that the reigning champions have not yet hit the heights of last campaign, and cited injuries to various key players as the biggest reason for this.

“Man City are fine,” said the South American. “We’re not playing as well as we did last season, but we are winning the matches anyway.

“We have the team, you know, so we definitely can play as we did last season. You have to think that this season we have had many important players injured - [Samir] Nasri, [David] Silva, [Vincent] Kompany, [Gael] Clichy, [Micah] Richards, and myself.

“There are no excuses, but that’s the truth.”

No comments: